[Python-Dev] async/await in Python; v2

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Apr 22 21:44:46 CEST 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is an error to pass a regular context manager without ``__aenter__``
> and ``__aexit__`` methods to ``async with``.  It is a ``SyntaxError``
> to use ``async with`` outside of a coroutine.

I find this a little weird.  Why not just have `with` and `for` inside
a coroutine dynamically check the iterator or context manager, and
either behave sync or async accordingly?  Why must there be a
*syntactic* difference?

Not only would this simplify the syntax, it would also allow dropping
the need for `async` to be a true keyword, since functions could be
defined via "def async foo():" rather than "async def foo():"

...which, incidentally, highlights one of the things that's been
bothering me about all this "async foo" stuff: "async def" looks like
it *defines the function* asynchronously (as with "async with" and
"async for"), rather than defining an asynchronous function.  ISTM it
should be "def async bar():" or even "def bar() async:".

Also, even that seems suspect to me: if `await` looks for an __await__
method and simply returns the same object (synchronously) if the
object doesn't have an await method, then your code sample that
supposedly will fail if a function ceases to be a coroutine *will not
actually fail*.

In my experience working with coroutine systems, making a system
polymorphic (do something appropriate with what's given) and
idempotent (don't do anything if what's wanted is already done) makes
it more robust.  In particular, it eliminates the issue of mixing
coroutines and non-coroutines.

To sum up: I can see the use case for a new `await` distinguished from
`yield`, but I don't see the need to create new syntax for everything;
ISTM that adding the new asynchronous protocols and using them on
demand is sufficient.  Marking a function asynchronous so it can use
asynchronous iteration and context management seems reasonably useful,
but I don't think it's terribly important for the type of function
result.  Indeed, ISTM that the built-in `object` class could just
implement `__await__` as a no-op returning self, and then *all*
results are trivially asynchronous results and can be awaited
idempotently, so that awaiting something that has already been waited
for is a no-op.  (Prior art: the Javascript Promise.resolve() method,
which takes either a promise or a plain value and returns a promise,
so that you can write code which is always-async in the presence of
values that may already be known.)

Finally, if the async for and with operations have to be distinguished
by syntax at the point of use (vs. just always being used in
coroutines), then ISTM that they should be `with async foo:` and `for
async x in bar:`, since the asynchronousness is just an aspect of how
the main keyword is executed.

tl;dr: I like the overall ideas but hate the syntax and type
segregation involved: declaring a function async at the top is OK to
enable async with/for semantics and await expressions, but the rest
seems unnecessary and bad for writing robust code.  (e.g. note that
requiring different syntax means a function must either duplicate code
or restrict its input types more, and type changes in remote parts of
the program will propagate syntax changes throughout.)