[Python-Dev] PEP 3152 and yield from Future()

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 15:54:52 CEST 2015

Greg,

On 2015-04-24 4:13 AM, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> I think this is the nail in PEP 3152's coffin.
>
> Seems more like a small tack to me. :-)
> I've addressed all the issues raised there in
> earlier posts.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.

You haven't addressed the issues. We raise issues,
saying that your PEP isn't backwards compatible and
is breaking existing idioms.  You say - there is a
workaround for that; or that we can rewrite that and
make it like that; or something else that doesn't
make any sense for existing asyncio developers.

Your PEP isn't backwards compatible. Period.

It *will* be harder for people to get, as it *does*
introduce a new calling grammar that isn't obvious
for at least some people.

We, asyncio developers, who write asyncio code,
*don't* want to write 'cocall fut()'.  I don't
understand *why* I'm required to put parentheses
there (besides someone just requiring me to do so,
because they failed to solve some problem in
backwards compatible way).  You avoid confusion
in one place, but you introduce it in other places.

I'm sorry, but your current way of handling the
discussion isn't really productive.  You don't
listen to arguments by Victor Stinner, Andrew
Svetlov, and me.  At this point, this whole PEP
3152 related discussion isn't helping anyone.

Yury

P.S. I'm sorry if this sounded harsh, this wasn't
my intent.