[Python-Dev] PEP 492 vs. PEP 3152, new round

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 10:29:19 CEST 2015

Hi Greg,

>> I accept the compromise of creating a coroutine object without wait
>> for it (obvious and common bug when learning asyncio). Hopefully, we
>> keep the coroutine wrapper feature (ok, maybe I suggested this idea to
>> Yury because I suffered so much when I learnt how to use asyncio ;-)),
>> so it will still be easy to emit a warning in debug mode.
>

> I'm disappointed that there will *still* be no direct and
> reliable way to detect and clearly report this kind of
> error, and that what there is will only be active in
> a special debug mode.

It looks like our BDFL, Guido, made a choice. This point was discussed
enough and most of us now agree on this point. There is no need to
repeat yourself multiple time, we are well aware that you strongly
disagree with this compromise ;-)

It's probably the major difference between the PEP 492 and PEP 3152,
and Guido decided to reject the PEP 3152. It's now time to focus our
good energy on discussing remaining questions on the PEP 492 to make
it the best PEP ever! Guido did a great great to summarize these
questions.

Thank you,
Victor