[Python-Dev] PEP-498: Literal String Formatting

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 17:07:45 CEST 2015

On 9 August 2015 at 00:05, Alexander Walters <tritium-list at sdamon.com> wrote:
> Please do not change the meaning of the vestigial U''.  It was re-added to
> the language to fix a problem, rebinding it to another meaning introduces
> new problems.  We have plenty of other letters in the alphabet to use.

It's actually being used in the same sense we already use it - I'm
just adding a new compile time use case where the distinction matters
again, which we haven't previously had in Python 3. (The usage in this
PEP is fairly closely analogous to WSGI's distinction between native
strings, text strings and binary strings, which matters for hybrid
Python 2/3 code, but not for pure Python 3 code)

It would certainly be *possible* to use a different character for that
aspect of the PEP, but it would be additional work without any obvious
gain.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. I hop on the plane for the US in a few hours, so I'll be aiming
to be bad at responding to emails until the 17th or so. We'll see how
well I stick to that plan :)