[Python-Dev] PEP-498: Literal String Formatting

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Aug 10 19:07:13 CEST 2015

On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 06:14:18PM -0700, David Mertz wrote:

[...]
> That said, there *is* one small corner where I believe f-strings add
> something helpful to the language.  There is no really concise way to spell:
>
>   collections.ChainMap(locals(), globals(), __builtins__.__dict__).

I think that to match the normal name resolution rules, nonlocals()
needs to slip in there between locals() and globals(). I realise that
there actually isn't a nonlocals() function (perhaps there should be?).

> If we could spell that as, say `lgb()`, that would let str.format() or
> %-formatting pick up the full "what's in scope".  To my mind, that's the
> only good thing about the f-string idea.

I like the concept, but not the name. Initialisms tend to be hard
to remember and rarely self-explanatory. How about scope()?

--
Steve