[Python-Dev] PEP-498: Literal String Formatting

Mike Miller python-ideas at mgmiller.net
Tue Aug 11 19:05:55 CEST 2015

On 08/11/2015 06:47 AM, Eric V. Smith wrote:
>> 2. Let's call them "format strings" not "f-strings".
>>     The latter sounds slightly obnoxious, and also inconsistent with the
>>     others:
>>
>>          r''         raw string
>>          u''         unicode object (string)
>>          f''         format string
>
> People seem to have already started using f-strings. I think it's
> inevitable.

Sure, there's no way to ban it, that would be silly.  But, I think the
documentation should not use it.

We don't normally say "r-strings" or "u-strings" when talking about them, it's
not very accurate.  The letter they use isn't their important quality.

Also, avoiding the f- takes the spotlight off the part where f stands for words
besides format.  ;)

-Mike