[Python-Dev] Python 4 musings (was Re: Deleting with setting C API functions)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Dec 2 12:12:28 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Dec 02, 2015, at 08:35 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> >I wholeheartedly agree with what Nick writes there
>
> As do I.
>
> One interesting point will be what *nix calls the /usr/bin thingie for
> Python
> 4.  It would seem weird to call it /usr/bin/python3 and symlink it to say
> /usr/bin/python4.0 but maybe that's the most practical solution.  OTOH, by
> 2023, Python 2 will at worst be in source-only security release mode, if
> not
> finally retired so maybe we can reclaim /usr/bin/python by then.  Oh well,
> PEP
> 394 will hash all that out I'm sure.

Maybe the criteria for switching to 4 would be that all traces of 2 are
gone.

> One other potentially disruptive change would be when Python's Einstein, er
> David Beazley, finally cracks the nut of the GIL.  Should that require a
> new
> backward incompatible C API, Python 4.0 would be the time to do it.

There would still have to be a backward compatibility API for a very long
time. So I don't see why this particular change (however eagerly
anticipated! :-) should force a major version bump.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)