[Python-Dev] "python.exe is not a valid Win32 app"

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Dec 15 10:14:00 EST 2015

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 15:41:35 +0100, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> In a message of Tue, 15 Dec 2015 11:46:03 +0100, Armin Rigo writes:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:13 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> >> Python 3.5 is not supported on windows XP.  Upgrade your OS or
> >> stick with 3.4
> >
> >Maybe this information should be written down somewhere more official?
> > I can't find it in any of these pages:
> >
> >https://www.python.org/downloads/windows/
> >https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-350/
> >https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-351/
> >https://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html
> >
> >It is found on the following page, to which googling "python 3.5
> >windows XP" does not point:
> >
> >https://docs.python.org/3.5/whatsnew/3.5.html#unsupported-operating-systems

That's too bad, since that's the official place such info appears.

> >Instead, the google query above returns various threads on
> >stackoverflow and elsewhere where users wonder about that very
> >question.
>
> I already asked for that, on the bug tracker but maybe I picked the wrong
> issue tracker for that request.
>
> So now I have made one here, too.
> https://github.com/python/pythondotorg/issues/867

IMO the second is the right one...although the release managers sometimes
adjust the web site, I think this is a web site issue and not a release
management issue.  I would think that we should have "supported versions"
in the 'product description' for both Windows and OSX, but IMO the
current way the releases are organized on the web site does not make
that easy to achieve in a way that will be useful to end users.

That said, I'm not sure whether or not there is a way we could add
"supported versions" to the main docs that would make sense and be
useful...your bugs.python.org issue would be useful for discussing that.

--David