[Python-Dev] Asynchronous context manager in a typical network server

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Fri Dec 18 14:29:23 EST 2015

On 12/18/2015 10:36 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>     I was opted to the signal module because `signal` documentation
>     suggest that
>     it alos supports Windows while asyncio documentation states that
>     `loop.
>     add_signal_handler()` is UNIX only.
>

> Unfortunately that's true, but using the signal module with asyncio
> the way you did is *not* safe. The only safe way is to use the
> loop.add_signal_handler() interface.

Does this mean Windows users should not bother trying to use asyncio ?

(I haven't yet, due to lack of time, but I'd hate to think of folks,
including myself in the future, investing a lot of time developing
something and then discover it can never be reliable, due to this sort
of "unsafe" or "not-available-on-Windows" feature.)