[Python-Dev] Typo in PEP-0423

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 16:04:09 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
> We've played around with robots.txt, but it's still useful for old docs
> to be indexed (e.g., for removed features), which just need to figure
> out how to get them deprecation in results. I wonder if <link
> ref="canonical"> in the old docs would help.

Yes, this is probably the correct approach (though it's rel="canonical"):

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066?hl=en

It's always been an inconvenience when Google displays the docs for
different, old versions (3.2, 3.3, etc) -- seemingly at random, and
sometimes instead of the newest version.  Fortunately, this seems to
be improving over time.

By using rel="canonical", you would have control over this and can
signal to Google to display only the newest, stable version of a given
doc.  This would probably have other positive benefits like
consolidating the "search juice" onto one page, so it's no longer
spread thinly across multiple versions.  There would still be a
question of how you want to handle 2 versus 3.

--Chris