[Python-Dev] Hi, I am new to this board and have a question

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 12:09:47 CET 2015

On 5 February 2015 at 12:26, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Jianhua Zhou <jzhou at rocketsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> The necessary bits to build these optional modules were not found:
>> _bz2                  _lzma                 _ssl
>> _tkinter              zlib
>> So what package name should I gave to download the additional source to
>> build the optional module?
>
> Questions like this are really better asked on Red Hat forums, but off the
> top of my head, you need *-devel packages such as zlib-devel, openssl-devel,
> etc.  It is usually easy to figure out from yum search.

I actually have a few suggestions here:

1. The system build deps for Python 2 should be the same as those for
Python 3, so "yum-builddep python" should solve the problem of getting
dependencies to do your own build

2. You may also be interested in Slavek's proposal to add a Python 3.4
stack to EPEL: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bkabrda/EPEL7_Python3
(Relevant discussions at [1] and [2])

3. Alternatively, Software Collections may be a better fit for your
use case: http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/SCL

As Alexander says though, we're getting a bit off topic for upstream
python-dev - this is more a topic for EPEL, CentOS or the Red Hat
customer portal.

Regards,
Nick.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/epel-devel/2014-December/010548.html