[Python-Dev] PEP 370 - per-user scripts directory on Windows

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 19:51:56 CET 2015

On 12 February 2015 at 17:13, Thomas Heller <theller at ctypes.org> wrote:
>> This is how I worked for a long time after py.exe became available.
>> But then I discovered virtualenv, and started using that, and needing
>> to use 2 completely different command sets for "when I'm in a
>> virtualenv" vs "when I'm not" became completely unusable.
>
> I'm normally not using virtual environments, so my understanding might
> be wrong.  Isn't it the case that in virtual envs you don't have these
> problems at all?  The 'correct' python.exe is on the PATH as well as the
> Scripts directory:  this is what activate.bat does.

Yes, but that's essentially the problem. I don't want to use "py" to
start Python, but when I'm in a virtualenv, have to switch to using
"python". That was what I used to do, and I found that I was forever
running "py" in a virtualenv and wondering why the packages I'd
installed weren't available...

Paul