[Python-Dev] Building on Windows - importlib.h changed

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 00:07:38 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Zachary Ware
> <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, importlib.h changes should never be included in a patch (it would
>
> Unless they should. :)  E.g. you modified importlib/_bootstrap.py, the
> marshal format, bytecodes, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, the devguide suggests leaving generated files out
of patches, though I can't find where to link to it.  If not, it
probably should :).  Generated files ought to be generated by the
build process the same way on any system, so leaving them in the patch
amounts to unnecessary noise, especially in the case of importlib.h
which is not human-readable (and huge).  In the case of a generated
file being affected by a patch, a friendly reminder that files will
need to be regenerated should be included when posting the patch,
though.

--
Zach