[Python-Dev] PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Petr Viktorin encukou at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 17:15:54 CET 2015

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the usage would be something like
>
>     python -m zipapp [options] dir_to_zip

>     -p <interpreter>    The interpreter to use on the shebang line
> (defaulting to /usr/bin/env python)

On many systems this default would mean Python 2. Even if the official
recommendation changes for 3.5, the status quo might linger for a few
years.
On the other hand, the number of distros that don't ship Python 3 is
small, and the reason they're slow-moving tends to be stability and/or
compliance, so they're not the target audience for zipapp. And the
python3 symlink is not going away any time soon.
So I'd suggest `/usr/bin/env python3` for the default.