[Python-Dev] Python 3.4 RPM on AIX

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 09:33:51 CET 2015

----- Original Message -----
> Blaxton writes:
>
>  > I am using the spec file that comes with Python source code which
>  > downloaded from python.org website
>
> Ah, sorry, I didn't realize that.  My advice still stands; while there
> are Red Hat/Fedora/other-RPM-based distro workers here, I don't know
> if any of them actually have anything to do with RPM-building.  And
> I've been following this list for over 10 years -- this is the first
> I've heard of problems with the .spec in the Python sources, so I
> suspect Zach is right: you're the first person to use the thing in
> half a decade.  The Python project itself doesn't distribute RPMs as
> far as I can see.

Yes, there are people here who do everything around distro RPM-building here :)
AFAIK no RPM based distribution uses the specfile from the Python tarball. Our specfiles (Fedora/Red Hat Enterprise Linux) are much more complex to satisfy all the downstream policies and such. In case you're interested, you can have a look at our current python3.spec [1]. Feel free to reuse it (all Fedora specfiles are licensed under MIT license unless noted otherwise).

>  > This is like no support.
>
> Unfortunately, yes.  I know I don't have the knowledge to help fix the
> .spec file, and I don't even know who to tell you to ask in the project.

I can help with RPM related questions (it'd probably be best to ask them privately, since their offtopic for this list), but I have pretty much zero knowledge of AIX - so I won't be able to help you with AIX-specific issues.

--
Regards,
Slavek Kabrda

[1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/python3.git/tree/python3.spec