[Python-Dev] PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:58:12 CET 2015

On 17 February 2015 at 19:00, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>It might be nice to consider those use-cases in pyzapp as well, especially
>>once the glibc feature is released. It requires some fairly big changes to
>>zipimport (I ended up rewriting the whole thing) but we can easily
>>opensource the code, if there's any interest at all.
>
> +1

+1 from me also. Anything that makes it easier for packages to work
under zipimport.

But I would say that anything that is added to zipimport should be
cross-platform. Having support for C extensions in zipimport on Unix
only will just add another way in which Python applications can
inadvertantly be non-portable... (It should be possible to support
both Windows and Unix, though, as py2exe has the Windows side of
things covered so presumably the code used in py2exe could be ported
to zipimport).

Paul