[Python-Dev] PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Feb 17 22:13:46 CET 2015

On Feb 17, 2015, at 08:53 PM, Paul Moore wrote:

>On 17 February 2015 at 18:56, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>>The initial draft of this PEP proposed using ``/usr/bin/env python``
>>>as the default interpreter.
>>
>> The other reasonable alternative for a default shebang is sys.executable.
>
>That's instantly non-portable. On my PC, it'd give
>C:\Apps\Python34\python.exe. Which won't work on Unix, or on PCs that
>use the standard install location, or when I upgrade to Python 3.5...

But it doesn't matter (at least to me).  The scenarios I want to support don't
include building a pyz on my Linux machine, giving it to you, and having you
able to run it natively on your Windows machine.

There are lots of interesting use cases we could still support.  I could build
a single-file application and deploy it into my OS's system archives.  I could
deploy that thing into my platform's app store.  I could hand it over to a
colleague running an identical version of the OS.  I could deploy it into my
data center.  I could install it on my phone.

Don't discount sys.executable to quickly. :)

Cheers,
-Barry