[Python-Dev] PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 22:52:17 CET 2015

On 17 February 2015 at 21:40, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> OTOH, I think it *would* be useful to have this built into Python.  We almost
> have too many choices, and may people I've talked to lately (including
> experienced Pythonistas) have trouble choosing the right tool.  But that can
> come later; let's get some basic support into Python first, and a good start
> IMHO is executable zips (including support for extension modules) with the
> pkg_resources/importlib API additions.

I see no problem with either having zipapp develop into a much
fuller-featured solution, or having an externally developed tool
brought into the stdlib and replacing zipapp. I just don't think
there's anything mature enough for that role out there yet, and I
don't feel that we know enough yet to design the right solution from
scratch in the PEP.

As you say, though, that can come later. If 3.5 includes PEP 441 and
Donald's proposed importlib additions, I'll be happy. If it also
includes zipimport support for C extensions I'll be ecstatic! (But I
suspect that one's more a 3.6 timeframe)

Paul