[Python-Dev] PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 23:06:18 CET 2015

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15.02.15 18:21, Thomas Wouters wrote:
>>
>> which requires that extension modules are stored uncompressed (simple)
>> and page-aligned (harder, as the zipfile.ZipFile class doesn't directly
>> support page-aligning anything
>

> It is possible to add this feature to ZipFile. It can be useful because will
> allow to mmap uncompressed files in ZIP file.

One of the cool things about ZIP files is that they ignore any data
that is not referenced by the index (which is at the end of the file).
That is why we can put a #! at the beginning of the file, prefix .exe
self-extractors, or put extra data between files in the archive. You
could probably even overlap archive members if you were motivated. But
it would be best to let the uncompressed extensions be standard ZIP
members.