[Python-Dev] PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Jim J. Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:11:42 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Are you just looking for

>>     http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml and ...

> That covers mime types, but not file extensions, so it's not really
> what *I* thought Barry was talking about.

Question 13 at http://www.iana.org/form/media-types asks for
additional information, and specifically calls out Magic Number and
File Extension, among others.  I doubt there is any more official
repository for file extension meaning within MIME or unix.

> Also, I don't think reserving anything is something I, as an
> individual (and specifically a non-Unix user) should do. It probably
> should be handled by the PSF, as the process seems to need a contact
> email address...

Ideally, it would be a long-lasting organizational address, such as
pep-editor at python.org.  But often, it isn't.

-jJ