[Python-Dev] easy_install ?

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 20:03:47 CET 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And if pip won't work, it would be good to
>> know why.
>

> Is there a recommended way to invoke pip from setup.py?  When I specify
> "tests_require=" and run "python setup.py test", the requirements get
> installed using setuptools' easy_install function.

The solution is to not do that. A substitute is to specify your test
requirements in a [test] extra and install them with pip or to run
tests with tox. This gives control of the installer back to the user
instead of the setup.py author.

https://pythonhosted.org/setuptools/setuptools.html#declaring-extras-optional-features-with-their-
own-dependencies