[Python-Dev] ?s re documentation of Python features

GARRY M CRANE gandkcrane at msn.com
Wed Feb 25 02:15:42 CET 2015

I am trying to learn Python for use in computational biology.  I am using the interesting book: "Computing for Biologists; Python Programming and Principles" (by Ran Libeskind-Hadas and Eliot Bush).  It has an interesting and useful set of programming exercises at www.cs.hmc.edu/CFB.  I am actually enjoying solving (doing) the example problems.  However, I find some of the instructions non-functional for me.  For example the import function does not work,  nor f=open("filename.txt").  I have saved files per instructions in the programming exercise inside the Python34 folder (I am using Python 3.4 in Windows 7).  But use of the f=open() command produces an error message that the requested file does not exist. I assume I have chosen a wrong location for the saved file within that Python34 folder, but trial and error has not led to a successful use of these functions.  import simply leaves a blank line .. no suggestion about the problem.
Asking questions in Google and Ask about  where to save Python-related files that can be used subsequently have not led to answers - just details about structuring or formatting things to be written/saved/use of the \n at end of each line, etc.  Important details, but of no help.   I am finding Python to be very handy at many biologic things such as working with DNA strings, etc. but I find the documentation and indexing for finding how to use many Python features exasperating.  I am writing to you based on a READ ME file in my Python folder - generated when I installed Python.

FYI, I asked a few questions of one of the authors of the interesting book - who politely replied he was too busy to answer right now - the book and problems were meant for a class ... though neither the book nor problems say so.  The professor hopes to get around to issues of use by non-students sometime - but not now.

Another feature I have come across so far that does not work is importation of matplotlib.  I copy computed results (that otherwise would go to your plotting routine)  then go to Excel and with manipulation produce a usable chart there - but at a cost of time and energy.

Your Python tool has many intriguing features - but some of the most basic functions do not work for me (even though many features do, e.g., import random does work).  The failure of these features - so far as I can tell - is  because of lack of description (for the general non-expert public) about where/how to install various features.  Perhaps I need to reinstall from the ground up???  If so, just what should I do?  If there is a less drastic solution, can you tell me about it?

Thank you for any help ... and if you could provide me a lead regarding WHERE to ask subsequent questions I would be most grateful.  Sometimes, Google or Ask or a U Tube tutorial does a good job - but if one does not know the 'proper' name or term for something, it often is frustrating or impossible to get an answer.  I have not heard about any comprehensive handbook for Python34 aimed at one who wants to use Python for creating programs (functions) that work - and is not an expert at back-room structure of files and folders.... have I simply missed it?  So far, I have not found a local Python expert to ask for help.  I am sure some are in the greater Seattle area where I live- but I don't know how to find even one at this time.

Garry Crane
gandkcrane at msn.com