[Python-Dev] Working on issue 23496: should I use a macro test or an edit to configure.ac?

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 19:17:52 CET 2015

So...

There was a recent discussion here on porting Python to Android. Well, for
those of you who saw too many unread messages and marked the whole thread
as read like I usually do, I helped Cyd figure out some patches that make
it work. Cyd then opened Issue 23496 <http://bugs.python.org/issue23496>.
Now, I'm going to try to redo the patches against HEAD (or tip in Mercurial
language).

Which leads me to the question. See, of course, the patches should only be
enabled if Python is being built targeting Android, but I'm not sure how
that should be detected.

I know that the Android target triple is arm-linux-androideabi. Should I
test for the __ANDROID__ macro in the source file, or should I modify
configure.ac to detect Android and define its own macro? Also, if a
configure.ac edit is preferred, where should it be? It's slightly painful
to scan through all 4000 lines of Python's configure script. ;)

--
Ryan
If anybody ever asks me why I prefer C++ to C, my answer will be simple: