[Python-Dev] New Windows installer for Python 3.5

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 15:13:20 CET 2015

On 4 January 2015 at 22:01, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 January 2015 at 23:34, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Also, how does the launcher py.exe fit into the picture? Is it still
> installed into the Windows directory? What about for a user install?
> Are Python scripts associated with the launcher, and if so, how does
> it pick up the version you selected as default?
>
> (Sorry, that was more than one question :-))

The proposed installer changes look like a great improvement to me,
but I think Paul's questions suggest that it will be useful to capture
the many decisions involved in the redesign as a PEP.

That serves a couple of useful purposes:

1. It helps guide the design itself, and ensure that the various usage
scenarios (like build machines) are suitably covered.
2. When Python 3.5 is released, we can point readers of the What's New
document to the PEP as a reference for the detailed decision making
process that went into the changes that were made.

Regards,
Nick.