[Python-Dev] New Windows installer for Python 3.5

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 09:17:21 CET 2015

On 5 January 2015 at 01:20, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I think this means the best way to make multiple versions work properly is to rename python.exe to python3.5.exe, then install the launcher as python.exe and python3.exe (with some logic to look at its own name) so it can resolve the right version. Maybe we can even extend the launcher to resolve launchers in Scripts (pip.exe, etc.) and have consistent rules there too?

This was a big debate over on distutils-sig. I advocated "py -m pip"
for portable use, but got basically nowhere. People want "pip" to
work, for compatibility with Unix (and hence ease of documentation).
If we can't get PATH sorted out, we need to do something about this,
IMO. I don't know what (believe me, I tried to find a solution)
unfortunately.

Paul