[Python-Dev] contributing to multiprocessing

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Jan 9 04:19:44 CET 2015

On Thu, 08 Jan 2015 17:08:07 -0800, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> On 01/08/2015 03:21 PM, Davin Potts wrote:
> >
> > I am interested in making some serious ongoing contributions around multiprocessing.
>
> Great!
>
> > Rather than me simply walking through that backlog, offering comments or encouragement here and there on issues, it
> > makes more sense for me to ask:  what is the right way for me to proceed?  What is the next step towards me helping
> > triage issues?  Is there a bridge-keeper with at least three, no more than five questions for me?
>
> I would suggest having at least one, if not two or three, current core-devs ready and willing to quickly review your
> work (I believe Raymond Hettinger may be one); then, go ahead and triage, improve and/or submit patches, and make
> comments.  Once you've got a few of these under your belt, with favorable reviews and your patches committed, you may
> get stuck with commit privileges of your own.  ;)

Indeed, the best way to proceed, regardless of any other issues, is in
fact to review, triage, comment on, and improve the issues you are
interested in.  Get the patches commit ready, and then get a current
core dev to do a commit review.

Oddly, the doc issues may be more problematic than the code issues.
Fixing bugs in docs isn't difficult to get done, but restructuring
documentation sometimes gets bogged down in differing opinions.  (I
haven't myself looked at your proposals since I don't use
multiprocessing, so I don't know how radical the proposed changes are).

--David