[Python-Dev] New Windows installer for Python 3.5

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 12 21:02:58 CET 2015

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 3:28 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> For the time being, things like PyInstaller, PyRun, Portable Python,
>> etc are going to offer a better solution than anything we provide in
>> the standard installers.
>
> See also Anaconda and Enthought Canopy. I think miniconda, for instance, may
> give you just what you need, if you don't want to go the py2exe/PyInstaller
> approach (though you probably do want to go that way, as far as I can tell from
> your description of your use-case.

Actually, both Anaconda and Canopy suffer from the initialization process issues. You can't really use virtualenv with either of them unless they set the registry PythonPath value (since they won't find the libraries they need to launch), and if you install both then they'll fight over the registry key and you'll get Canopy launching with Anaconda's path or vice-versa.

> I'm inclined to think that this does not belong as part of the standard
> installer.

The problems are inherent to the standard python.exe, and are likely part of the standard pythonXY.dll. Nick's scared of fixing it, so I'm absolutely petrified :)

Cheers,
Steve