[Python-Dev] Compile Python on Windows (OpenSSL)

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 22:39:28 CET 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed the SP1 for Visual Studio 2010, and it looks like that it
> broke my Windows SDK 7.1 (setenv was missing, cl.exe was also
> missing). I uninstalled the SDK 7.1, and then I saw that a patch is
> required to use Windows SDK 7.1 with Visual Studio 2010 SP1. Ah. Too
> late.
>
> I don't understand the link between the SDK and Visual Studio. There
> are not separated directories?
>
> And now I cannot find Windows SDK 7.1 anymore. It looks like it
> disappeared from microsoft.com. The SDK 7.1 was released in 2010, so
> it's now quite old, but it worked well!

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/101105-how-do-i-install-microsoft-windows-sdk-7-1
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8279

Both are about Windows SDK 7.1. The latter is a download link; the former
says what to do if you have VS 2010 installed.

> Can I use the SDK 8.0 or 8.1 to build Python extensions for Python 3.3 and
> 3.4?
>
> It took me several hours to have a working platform to build my Python
> extensions for Python 2.7, 3.3 and 3.4, in 32 and 64 bits with
> automated scripts to run all commands. And now it doesn't work anymore
> :-(
>
> Victor

> > On 13.01.2015 23:42, Brian Curtin wrote:

> >> I saw that and will send it on, but it's still going to take some time
> >> to process - usually a week or so.
> >>
> >> In the meantime, the first result searching for Visual Studio 2015
> >> came up with
> http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-downloads-vs.aspx
> ,
> >> which seems to give you VS2015. I haven't tried to run it since I'm
> >> not on Windows at the moment, but it looks correct.
> >
> > Just a note of caution: for older preview releases of VS the
> > only way to get back to a clean system was to reinstall
> > Windows.
> >
> > I don't know whether this will be different with VS 2015,
> > but if you care for your VM, you should probably create
> > a snapshot before installing VS 2015 preview to make it
> > easy to revert back, e.g. to install the final VS 2015
> > version.
> >
> > --
> > Marc-Andre Lemburg
> > eGenix.com
> >
> > Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 13 2015)
> > 2015-01-09: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13.7 ...  http://egenix.com/go68
> > 2015-01-20: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...        http://egenix.com/go69
> >
> > ::::: Try our mxODBC.Connect Python Database Interface for free ! ::::::
> >
> >    eGenix.com Software, Skills and Services GmbH  Pastor-Loeh-Str.48
> >     D-40764 Langenfeld, Germany. CEO Dipl.-Math. Marc-Andre Lemburg
> >            Registered at Amtsgericht Duesseldorf: HRB 46611
> >                http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

Ryan
If anybody ever asks me why I prefer C++ to C, my answer will be simple:
"It's becauseslejfp23(@#Q*(E*EIdc-SEGFAULT. Wait, I don't think that was
nul-terminated."
Personal reality distortion fields are immune to contradictory evidence. -
srean
Check out my website: http://kirbyfan64.github.io/