[Python-Dev] Compile Python on Windows (OpenSSL)

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Thu Jan 15 23:24:45 CET 2015

Victor Stinner wrote:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8279
>
> "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4"
>
> Are you sure that it is SDK 7.1, and not 7.0?

The naming is horrible, and the bugs between VS and the SDK are also horrible. I'm sorry.

SDK 7.0 == "Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5"
SDK 7.1 == "Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4"

So this is the correct link for building Python 3.3 and 3.4. It's also the one you want to keep building the latest code with the old compiler.

> --
>
> The SDK 7.0 works for Python 2.7 which is compiled with Visual Studio 2008.
>
> I used the SDK 7.1 for Python 3.3 and 3.4 which are compiled with Visual Studio
> 2010.
>
> It looks likt SDK 8 is more for Visual Studio 2012.
>
> If you use the wrong SDK, you will depend on a "MSVCRxxx.dll" which is not
> provided by Python x.x (ex: MSVCR100.dll for SDK 7.1/Python 3.3 & 3.4).

This information is all entirely correct. Worse, if you depend on the wrong runtime version, you'll get unexpected crashes and other errors.

Cheers,
Steve