[Python-Dev] hg vs Github [was: PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github]

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 11:01:30 CET 2015

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Jim J. Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:

>> What I really don't understand is why this discussion is hg v.
>> GitHub, when it should be hg v. git. Particular hosting is
>> a secondary issue
>
> I think even the proponents concede that git isn't better enough
> to justify a switch in repositories.
>
> They do claim that GitHub (the whole environment; not just the
> hosting) is so much better that a switch to GitHub is justified.
>
> Github + hg offers far fewer benefits than Github + git, so also
> switching to git is part of the price.  Whether that is an
> intolerable markup or a discount is disputed, as are the value
> of several other costs and benefits.

git - GitHub < hg + hgweb
GitHub + hg < hg + hgweb
GitHub + git > hg + hgweb
GitHub + git <= hg + hgweb + Roundup
GitHub + git < hg + hgweb + Roundup + Rietveld

(GitHub + git) * Python = 0
(hg + hgweb) * Python = 1

There is also a question of support. Obviously Roundup will degrade
over time if there is economic support for coordination action for
people working on it, no matter how strong is their open source and
community spirits. It was fun back in the days, but now time control
and "human resource mining" techniques are so perfect that I hardly
imagine someone to have free time to work on community open
source projects.

With no time to support our own dogfood, the community will have
to switch to GitHub sooner or later, because that is the thing that
saves time so valuable. GitLab could be a open source alternative
if Python community chooses to be more tolerant to use Ruby tools
dogfood in its ecosystem.