[Python-Dev] Overriding stdlib http package

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 08:57:18 CET 2015

On 15 January 2015 at 07:35, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2015, at 4:19 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>
> But as Guido pointed out, we _like_ it being difficult to do because we
> don't want this kind of substitution happening as code ends up depending on
> bugs and quirks that you may fix.
>
> Not all of us, I hate the default order of sys.path.

It's mostly an opinion that arises from debugging other people's
problems after they've managed to import the wrong thing without
realising it (cf. the "don't use 'socket.py' as the name of your
script for learning about how TCP sockets work" problem). We're aware
that annoys power users, but they're far better equipped to handle the
problem than if we inverted the situation.

Cheers,
Nick.