[Python-Dev] Can Python Be Built Without Distutils

Antonio Cavallo a.cavallo at cavallinux.eu
Sun Jan 25 11:08:35 CET 2015

I tried a Makefile based build of python (+ some module) in the past for Android (and macos):

    https://bitbucket.org/cavallo71/android

There was no particular problem in dropping autoconfigure+setup.py in the process: the only real problem was the pgen must be
compiled on the host machine (but that could have changed since).

In general python was a plain compile and link stuff with not much magic involved and that is (very) good in my opinion: magic
detection tends to fail, autoconfigure need to "execute" stuff to detect things (reason why is quite useless in cross-compile
mode) etc.

I would've tried also cmake and qmake builds as well, but simply I didn't have time to spend on it.

I hope this helps,
Antonio