[Python-Dev] Pydoc Replacement for Python's help()?

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 16:07:35 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Cyd Haselton <chaselton at gmail.com> wrote:
> A quick FYI: The decision to build 2.7.8 (instead of 3.x) on Android
> was made after reading this article:
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3

What in that document convinced you to port to Python 2 instead of
Python 3? That page is intended for people deciding which version of
the language to use for their work. I would think as someone trying to
port to a new platform your criteria would be different. Also, note
that the above page was last updated in April 2014. Look at the info
for that page:

    https://wiki.python.org/moin/Python2orPython3?action=info

and you'll see there was probably nothing of substance added to that
page in over a year.

Right at the very top of that page, I read:

    Short version: Python 2.x is legacy, Python 3.x is the present and
future of the language

I would think that would be enough to convince you to use Python 3.x
as your starting point. I say this as someone who, in his day-to-day
work uses Python 2.7 exclusively, doesn't expect his employer to ever
convert to Python 3, and has never done much more with Python 3 than
build it. With all that, if I was going to attempt a port of Python to
a new platform, I would still choose to port Python 3.

Skip