[Python-Dev] PEP 493: Redistributor guidance for Python 2.7 HTTPS

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 12:57:33 CEST 2015

On 8 July 2015 at 00:42, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> In this case, though, I was a bit miffed since I didn't notice that
> PEP appearing on python-ideas (or perhaps I already forget discussing
> it?), which made me frustrated that *perhaps* with less pointless
> drifting I would have seen it. Being one of the principal maintainers
> of the ssl module I was definitely interested on giving my opinion.

And it turns out that omission is entirely my fault - I *thought* I'd
previously started a python-ideas thread, but instead we only filed a
tracker issue, and I *didn't* add everyone handling ssl module
maintenance to the nosy list for it. If I'd added a proper references
section to the PEP I would have noticed there *wasn't* a previous
thread on it and I was misremembering. My apologies for the confusion.

I'll add a proper references section to the PEP (which will also call
out the Red Hat CVE thread more clearly) in addition to fixing the
example code to respect the "ignore_environment" flag.

As Guido suggested, would you be willing to take on the BDFL-Delegate
task for this? It definitely seems appropriate given the errors and
omissions you've already found :)

Cheers,
Nick.