[Python-Dev] How far to go with user-friendliness

Ron Adam ron3200 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:15:51 CEST 2015

On 07/14/2015 09:41 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 02:06:14PM +0200, Dima Tisnek wrote:
>> >https://bugs.python.org/issue21238  introduces detection of
>> >missing/misspelt mock.assert_xxx() calls on getattr level in Python
>> >3.5
>> >
>> >Michael and Kushal are of the opinion that "assret" is a common typo
>> >of "assert" and should be supported in a sense that it also triggers
>> >AttributeError and is not silently ignored like a mocked user
>> >attribute.
>> >
>> >I disagree
> I must admit I don't use mock so don't quite understand what is going on
> in this bug report. But I don't imagine that anything good will come out
> of treating*one*  typo differently from all the other possible typos.
> Why should "assret" be treated differently from other easy-to-make typos
> like "asert", "assrt", "asset"? Or "assort", which is not only a
> standard and common English word, but "e" and "o" are right next to each
> other on Dvorak keyboards, making it an easy typo to make.
>
> Surely this is an obvious case where the Zen should apply. "Special
> cases aren't special enough..." -- either all such typos raise
> AttributeError, or they are all silent.

I agree with Steven that it doesn't seem correct to not raise
AttributeError here.

For what it's worth, I have a life long sleep disorder and am a tarrable
(<-- like this)  speller because of it.   I still don't want spell, or
grammar, checkers to not report my mistakes.  And I don't recall ever
making the particular error of using "assret" in place of "assert".  I'd be
more likely to mispell it as "assirt" if I wasn't already so familiar with
"assert".

If people do misspell it, I think they do learn not to in after it happens
a few times.

Regards,
    Ron