[Python-Dev] How far to go with user-friendliness

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Jul 16 22:52:15 CEST 2015

On 07/16/2015 01:29 PM, Michael Foord wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 July 2015, Christie Wilson wrote:

>> Unless the line silently executes and they don't notice the mistake for years :'(
>
> Indeed. This has been a problem with mock, misspelled (usually misremembered) assert methods silently did nothing.
>
> With this fix in place several failing tests were revealed in code bases!

This is good.  :)

> As for assret, it's the common misspelling people have told me about. It seems a ridiculous
>  thing for people to get worked up about, but people enjoy getting worked up.

It's the only exercise some of us get.  ;)

On the serious side, Python is not a DWIM language, and making accommodations for a misspelling feels very DWIMish.  As I said in an earlier email part of writing good tests is double-checking that a
test is failing (and for the right reasons).  And yes, I am guilty of writing bad tests, and getting bit by it, and no, I still don't want the testing framework (or any part of Python) guessing what I
meant.

--
~Ethan~