[Python-Dev] How far to go with user-friendliness

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 02:11:18 CEST 2015

On 18 Jul 2015 8:13 am, "Ethan Furman" <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 07/16/2015 11:30 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>> On 17 July 2015 at 08:30, Ben Finney wrote:
>

>>> By definition, advocating to not add cruft to an API is going to be in
>>> advance of being bitten by those additions.
>>

>> That's not what people are doing. Folks are actually arguing for
>> *restoring* the ability to mock out method names starting with
>> "assret_*".
>

> Why is that surprising?  As somebody already mentioned (Terry, I think?)
"assret" is a fine abbreviation, as well as possibly being a foreign word.

>> I still don't know why anyone thinks restoring that would be a
>> worthwhile use of a maintainers' time (or why they thinking arguing in
>> favour of such a capability is a worthwhile use of theirs).
>

> 1) Because it shouldn't have been added in the first place.
>
> 2) Because DWIM does not belong in Python.

Then volunteer to do all of the work to revert the change yourself, or
offer to pay someone for it. Do NOT spend days nitpicking tiny details of
work that has already been done to the point where people are wondering why
they bother giving the gift of their time and contributions to our
community.

Core committers are core committers because we're willing to trust their
judgement in borderline design calls in their areas of expertise - the rest
of the role could be automated (and hopefully eventually will be). Once
they've made a decision, we have the entire internet to continue to voice
our dissatisfaction with the outcome, but incessantly repeating the same
points that were already considered in making the original decision
constitutes unwelcome noise on the core mailing lists.

Regards,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com