[Python-Dev] How far to go with user-friendliness

s.krah stefan at bytereef.org
Sat Jul 18 13:06:37 CEST 2015

---- Ein Sa, 18 Jul 2015 04:34:19 +0000 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> hat geschrieben ----

Antoine Pitrou writes:
 > [...] is amongst the reasons why I'm stopping contributing to
 > CPython.

> We'll miss your code. But you're only one committer, even if you've
> contributed more than the average amount. On the other hand, Python
> needs to *grow* the committer group beyond its current size, and
> *some* such discussion is necessary for new committers' advancement to
> "benevolent dictator for one PEP" level, which is also a pain point
> IMHO.

I don't think growing committer numbers is CPython's #1 problem. CPython
needs *relevant*contributions:  Hypothetically speaking, I'd wager that
someone writing an industrial strength concurrent garbage collector is
*far more likely* to share Antoine's attitude.

ALL developer's who fall into that category are being put off by the
current climate on python-dev and python-ideas, and there's no
shortage of other languages to contribute to.

Likewise, I don't think PEPs are the problem either: Python already has
too many features (recently I found myself thinking that C++ is a really
nice small language :).

Stefan Krah