[Python-Dev] Devguide - Add Communications Quick Start Section

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 06:31:41 CEST 2015

On 22 July 2015 at 04:08, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM Carol Willing
> <willingc at willingconsulting.com> wrote:
>> The Communications Quick Start section would be brief and practical much
>> like the Quick Start section for downloading and testing the source
>> code. Placing the Communications Quick Start section before the existing
>> Quick Start section would emphasize the importance that productive
>> communications has on CPython development.
>

> Sounds great to me! Social norms are just as important to get to speed on as
> technical requirements when contributing to an open source community, so
> this seems like a worthy project.

+1 from me as well. The discussion of a more formal CoC on the
python-committers list also highlighted for me that our main current
problems don't appear to be with any ill-intent on anyone's part, but
rather with well-intentioned messages that nevertheless have the
effect of causing folks to feel unappreciated and resentful. A
practical quick start guide is likely to be more effective in
addressing that aspect than a more explicit CoC (although I still
think the latter would be a good idea in the long run).

Regards,
Nick.