[Python-Dev] How do we tell if we're helping or hindering the core development process?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Jul 22 11:25:27 CEST 2015

* Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> [2015-07-21 20:23:15 -0700]:
> On Jul 21 2015, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > All of this is why the chart that I believe should be worrying people
> > is the topmost one on this page:
> > http://bugs.python.org/issue?@template=stats
> >
> > Both the number of open issues and the number of open issues with
> > patches are steadily trending upwards. That means the bottleneck in
> > the current process *isn't* getting patches written in the first
> > place, it's getting them up to the appropriate standards and applied.
> > Yet the answer to the problem isn't a simple "recruit more core
> > developers", as the existing core developers are *also* the bottleneck
> > in the review and mentoring process for *new* core developers.
>
> As a random datapoint:
>
> Early last year I wanted get involved in CPython development. In the
> next months I submitted and reviewed maybe 20 - 25 patches in the bug
> tracker. After seeing all of them languish, I stopped submitting and
> reviewing and just tried to get someone to look at the issues that I'd
> worked on. Eventually, I managed to get almost all of them committed
> (the last one sometime this February, after more than a year). However,
> it was such an uphill battle just to get someone to look at my
> contributions that I haven't touched the bugtracker ever since.
>
> [...]

As another random datapoint: I have some (minor) things which I'd like
to contribute to Python - and I never did.

Seeing the number of open issues with patches just make me feel like
it'd be a waste of time to contribute. It seems very plausible the
patches will just be ignored without me putting effort in getting them
noticed.

I'm fine with revising things until people are happy, i.e. I don't
just want to post a patch and disappear - but I don't want to fight to
get any kind of response, and it looks to me like I'd have to. :-/

Florian