[Python-Dev] Status on PEP-431 Timezones

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 09:32:43 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's an instance of single-timezone datetime arithmetic, of the
> datetime + timedelta form.

No, because in that case it would always move 24 hours, and it
doesn't. It sometimes moves 23 hours or 25 hours, when crossing a DST
border. That is a calendar operation, in the disguise of a datetime
arithmetic.

But this discussion is now moot, if we can't change this, then we
can't change this, and PEP431 is dead. The only reasonable way out if
this mess is a completely new module for dates and times that doesn't
make these kind of fundamental mistakes. I sincerely doubt I have the
time to implement that this decade.

//Lennart