[Python-Dev] Status on PEP-431 Timezones

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Mon Jul 27 18:15:33 CEST 2015

On Jul 27 2015, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> That you add one hour to it, and the datetime moves forward one hour
> in actual time? That's doable, but during certain circumstance this
> may mean that you go from 1AM to 1AM, or from 1AM to 3AM.
>
> Or do you expect that adding one hour will increase the hour count
> with one, ie that the "wall time" increases with one hour? This may
> actually leave you with a datetime that does not exist, so that is not
> something you can consistently do.

Apologies for asking yet another dumb question about this, but I have
the impression that a lot of other people are struggling with the basics
here too.

Can you tell us which of the two operations datetime currently
implements?

And when people talk about explicitly converting to UTC and back, does
that mean that if you're (again, with the current implementation)
converting to UTC, *then* add the one hour, and then convert back, you
get the other operation (that you don't get when you directly add 1
day)?

Best,
-Nikolaus