[Python-Dev] How do we tell if we're helping or hindering the core development process?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jul 28 16:17:38 CEST 2015

Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> writes:

> On 28 July 2015 at 13:35, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > People can, do, and probably must make many decisions through
> > non-rational processes. I don't propose to change that.
>
> Good.
>
> > Choices can be made that, when challenged, lack compelling rational
> > justification. I do propose that such a challenge should be taken as a
> > healthy desire to improve Python, not a personal attack.
>
> While that is fine, you appear unwilling to accept the possibility
> that people may not have the time/energy to develop a detailed
> rational justification for a change that they have made, and demanding
> that they do so when they are offering the time they do give on a
> volunteer basis, is what I claim is unacceptable.

I've said many times now that's not what I'm advocating.

I've made a clear distinction between the need to *be able to* justify a
change, versus arbitrary demands to do so by arbitrary members.

The latter is what you're arguing against, and of course I agree. I've
never advocated that.

> The issue is not one of your motives in asking for explanations - it's
> the implication that you are entitled to require others to *provide*
> those explanations, to whatever level of detail *you* require.

Hopefully this repetition is enough: I do not claim any such entitlement.

> I hope that clarifies my position.

Likewise. Thanks for engaging.

--
 \               “… correct code is great, code that crashes could use |
  `\           improvement, but incorrect code that doesn’t crash is a |