[Python-Dev] PEP 490: Chain exceptions at C level

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 09:29:38 CEST 2015

Hi,

> Chiming in again since I wasn't clear on this aspect last time: I'd also be
> +1 on parallel APIs that handle the chaining.
>
> Since the auto-chaining idea seems largely unpopular, that suggests to me
> that a parallel set of APIs would be the most readily accepted way forward.
>
> I nominate a "*Chained" suffix as my suggested colour for the bikeshed :)

In the PEP, I proposed adding helpers in Alternatives, but I proposed
to add *private* APIs:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0490/#new-helpers-to-chain-exceptions

I would prefer to experiment these API during one cycle before making
them public.

Extending the public API has a cost on the maintenance, it's common to
add 1 or 2 versions of the same function which makes the public API
uglier and heavier to maintain (especially since we have the public
ABI).

Victor