[Python-Dev] Importance of "async" keyword

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Wed Jun 24 20:14:14 CEST 2015

Hi everybody,

recently, I stumbled over the new 3.5 release and in doing so over PEP 0492.

After careful consideration and after reading many blog posts of various
coders, I first would like to thank Yury Selivanov and everybody else
who brought PEP 0492 to its final state. I therefore considered usage
within our projects, however, still find hazy items in PEP 0492. So, I
would like to contribute my thoughts on this in order to either increase
my understanding or even improve Python's async capability.

In order to do this, I need a clarification regarding the rationale
behind the async keyword. The PEP rationalizes its introduction with:

"If useful() [...] would become a regular python function, [...]
important() would be broken."

What bothers me is, why should important() be broken in that case?

Regards,
Sven R. Kunze