[Python-Dev] Adding c-api async protocol support

Andrew Svetlov andrew.svetlov at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 19:25:00 CEST 2015

I'm with Victor: we are in beta now.

Making C API is useful and important but we may wait for new Python release.
The same for asycnio acceleration: we definitely need it but it
requires inviting C API also I believe.

Personally I've concentrated on making third-party libraries on top of
asyncio -- aiohttp etc.

P.S.
Thank you Victor so much for your work on asyncio.
Your changes on keeping source tracebacks and raising warnings for
unclosed resources are very helpful.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 6:56 PM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like the code is currently moving fast. I suggest to wait
> until Python 3.6 to stabilize the Python C API for async/await. It's a
> pain to maintain a public API. I hate having to add 2 or 3 versions of
> a single function :-(
>
> Victor

>> Hi Arc,
>>

>> On 2015-06-24 10:36 PM, Arc Riley wrote:
>>>
>>> A type slot for tp_as_async has already been added (which is good!) but we
>>> do not currently seem to have protocol functions for awaitable types.
>>>
>>> I would expect to find an Awaitable Protocol listed under Abstract Objects
>>> Layer, with functions like PyAwait_Check, PyAwaitIter_Check, and
>>> PyAwaitIter_Next, etc.
>>>
>>> Specifically its currently difficult to test whether an object is
>>> awaitable
>>> or an awaitable iterable, or use said objects from the c-api without
>>> relying on method testing/calling mechanisms.
>>

>> The request is reasonable, I created a couple of bug tracker
>> issues:
>>
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue24511
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue24510
>>
>> Let's continue the discussion there.