[Python-Dev] Importance of "async" keyword

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Tue Jun 30 21:39:32 CEST 2015

Hi,

I have never said I wanted implicit asyncio. Explicit is the Python way
after all, it served me well and I stick to that.

I like the 'await' syntax to mark suspension points. But the 'async'
coloring makes no sense to me. It is an implementation details of
asyncio (IMHO).

 From what I can gather, there are 4 distinct cases I would need to take
care of. However, I do not wish the team to go through of all of them.
Additionally, they would even need to think of whether a function
returns an 'awaitable that returns an int', an 'int' or both depending
on the input parameters (or due to an implementation error). Maybe,
somebody even makes a crazy error like returning an 'awaitable that
returns an awaitable that returns an int'. If somebody likes to
create/handle this kind of stuff (for whatever reason), using the
asyncio library and creating crazy wrapper objects would be the way to
go; not the default syntax.

Regards,
Sven