[Python-Dev] PEP 485 review (isclose())

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 5 00:26:40 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> In this case I disagree. The math module mostly wraps the C math library
> and the bar should remain high for things to be added to it. Let this be
> someone's opportunity to learn C (I guess not Chris's :-).

As it happens, the first C code I ever wrote, beyond toy examples, was
python extensions. I dropped that for Cython a good while ago, but  I can
remember enough for this simple function ;-)

I agree that it's not worth going to python for the math module for just
this -- but others were proposing other reasons to do it.

Back to look at K&R ;-)

-Chris

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 3:14 PM Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
>> wrote:

>>> What do folks think? If we're going to do this, I'll write isclose() in
>>> python. And I could do the work to split it out, too, I suppose.
>>>

>> My vote -- as always -- is to do it in Python. If someone is sufficiently
>> motivated to re-implement in C then that's great, but I don't think it
>> should be required to be in C.

> --

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov