[Python-Dev] libffi embedded in CPython

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Mar 11 23:31:45 CET 2015

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 23:10:14 +0200
Maciej Fijalkowski <fijall at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Well, sure. The point is, such bugs are unlikely to appear at a fast
> > rate... Also, I don't understand why libffi issues would affect cffi
> > any less than it affects ctypes, at least in the compiler-less mode of
> > operation.
>
> My point here was only about shipping own libffi vs using the system
> one (and it does affect cffi equally with or without compiler)

So what? If ctypes used the system libffi as cffi does, it would by
construction be at least portable as cffi is.  The only reason the
bundled libffi was patched at some point was to be *more* portable than
vanilla libffi is.

So, really, I don't see how switching from ctypes to cffi solves any of
this.

Regards

Antoine.