[Python-Dev] Installing Python to non-ASCII paths

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Mar 22 16:12:43 CET 2015

On 22/03/2015 14:44, Paul Moore wrote:
> On which note, I'm assuming neither of the issues I've found are major
> blockers. "pip.exe doesn't work if Python is installed in a directory
> with non-ASCII characters in the name" can be worked around by using
> python -m pip, and the launcher issue by using a generic shebang like
> #!/usr/bin/python3.5.

That can become a more major blocker if "pip doesn't work" == "ensurepip
doesn't work and blocks thus the installer crashes" as was the case with
a mimetypes issue a little while back.

I'll create a £££ user (which is the easiest non-ASCII name to create on
a UK keyboard) to see how cleanly the latest installer works.

TJG